Sunday, January 22, 2012

Palm Beach Island Thoughts


It is an Island
When we first announced to friends from Denver that we were moving to Palm Beach, they would often respond, "Oh, I know West Palm Beach." They didn't know there about the actual island. I'd say, "Actually, it's just Palm Beach. It's an Island." To which I received a puzzled stare.

But it's no wonder that people wouldn't know about it since there are no signs (ANYWHERE) announcing its presence. Plenty of signage for West Palm Beach, Downtown and a few for the scenic A1A. I've even seen a sign for "the beaches"... but no mention of Palm Beach {If you live here, did you ever notice?}
Check out a bit of the A1A in Palm Beach:


 {source}

Geography
Palm Beach Islanders have a variety of sayings. My favorite has to deal with geography: things are either "on island" or "off island". Let me share some examples of how this might be used:
  • Nearly all summer, grocery shoppers use any number of Publix grocery stores "off island," but now, we have a bright, shiny new one "on island" to replace an older one. (I love it!)
  • There is one Starbucks "on island" {It took me 2 months to find because it is hidden} and probably billions "off island."
  • HB goes "on island" to Palm Beach Day Academy. {Called the Day School, if you're old school.}
  • There are only a few people who grew up "on island" and still live here. Somehow I've met them all.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so delighted you came to comment. Thanks!