Friday, December 23, 2011

It's Not Christmas Without...

Snow?
No...
Peanut Brittle

My mom makes the best peanut brittle. Growing up we had a batch nearly every year. As she put together the seven-ingredient recipe, it was the moment when the peanuts actually start roasting in the sugary syrup, that the spirit of the season sank into my soul.

When I started my own family, I asked my mom to teach me her recipe and we spent several years making countless batches to share with family and friends. Since we moved to Palm Beach this June, I'll have to make the batches on my own. I made 8 this year and for the most part, it was the same here as it was living at 5,280 feet. As a little Christmas gift to you, here is the recipe. Please enjoy the visual even if you can't smell it. Merry Christmas!!

In a large pan, heat on medium high heat the following:
1 Cup Light Karo Syrup
1 Cup Water
2 Cups Sugar
Heat, stirring occasionally, until the syrup spins a thread. While it is cooking, take a moment to stir together a teaspoon of baking soda and 2 teaspoons of vanilla. Set aside.
Do not rush this step, if you add the peanuts too early your "brittle"--won't be. {"Peanut Soggy" is not very good.} When it's ready, stir in 1-1/2 Cups raw peanuts.
 

Cook, enjoying the emanating fragrance. The candy will slowly turn to a light amber color.
At this point, work quickly, add 1 Tablespoon of butter and stir until melted. Remove from heat and add the vanilla/soda mixture. {I re-mix the concoction quickly before adding or the soda settles on the bottom and stays.}

Pour out onto a large cookie sheet that has been thickly buttered.
Allow to cool and harden. Break apart and enjoy!
No matter where you spend your holiday--on an island, on a mountain or in a field of waving wheat, that you will enjoy the traditions that help you recall all the season means to you.

And for those of you who live hear, I hope to see you at Bethesda tomorrow for Christmas Eve Service.


3 comments:

  1. Man that looks Good
    I'm having a great giveaway over the hoidays. The prize is a coastal style interiors book. If you have time I'd love it if you would pop over and join in.
    Carolyn xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks wonderful...and I do smell a sweetness when reading! LOL!! TFS :) Merry Christmas, Eli!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for joining in. Following you too now.
    Carolyn xx

    ReplyDelete

I'm so delighted you came to comment. Thanks!